Hi everyone! We made through the first month of 2021. I know this round up post is coming a little bit late, but I was really focusing on the tips for knitting your first sweater post and it was a beast!
That post ended up being so much longer than I originally planned, but I really hope that anyone who wants to knit their first sweater will find it useful.
January 2021 works in progress
I’m still working away on my For Fox Sake. I knit the sleeves this month, sometimes I like to do my sleeves first! I’m so ready to take on the rest of the body. Mindless stockinette is my go-to for knitting while reading and I have been doing a lot of that lately!
I’ve also been making progress on this baby blanket, I was trying to work on it for 30 minutes a day this month. I’ve been slacking recently, but I just need to do two more pattern repeats.
In February I’m setting a goal to knit a row a day and hopefully I’ll be finished by the end of the month.
January Finished Objects
I was so close to not having any Fos this month, but I finished my vampire vibes socks on January 31! I started these on Halloween and this has been my other go-to project lately for knitting and reading.
There were new cast ons in January!
Unless you count….
New design sneak peek
I have been working on a colourwork hat design for the past couple months! This is the Brigand hat. It uses worsted weight yarn and has a cozy double brim.
There are instructions for three sizes baby/toddler, child, and adult. By the time this is posted hopefully this pattern will be in testing. Keep an eye out for this pattern release sometime in February!!
I did some shopping this month!!! I don’t want to go too wild with buying yarn this year, however, I want to buy more yarn this year, specifically buying form indie dyers and local yarn stores.
I won a gift card for Breaking Yarn from a knit-a-long hosted by Knitty Natty. Definitely go give Breaking Yarn a follow on Instagram. And the dyer just started a new podcast, so you should check that out too.
I picked up a skein of worsted and a sock set (showing significant restraint might I add because sooo many beautiful colours). As soon as I saw this yellow I knew I had to have it. It’s going to be a hat, I’m thinking something with cables.
Dragon Hoard Yarn
I am obsessed with the A Court of Thorns and Roses book series by Sarah J. Maas (more on that below) and Dragon Hoard yarn has a Sarah J. Maas inspired collection.
This is Valeris and it’s one of the mystery colourways from January. As you can see it’s beautiful, I will definitely be ordering more yarn from Dragon Hoard Yarn in the future (like maybe I already have some in a cart lol).
Shirley Brian Yarns
When I saw this this adorable knitasaurus bag from Shirley Brian Yarns I could not resist! I love a good dinosaur pun and while I was there I had to buy some yarn. This is Aperol Spritz on the slub base. I have been planning a faded sweater using slub yarn and this just fit right into my colour scheme I had to have it.
Reads of Steele
I have been reading a ton lately. At the end of December I read the whole A Court of Thorns and Roses series and it really brought back my love of reading. Here are all the books I’ve read this month (cheating a bit to include some I read at the end of December).
- A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Court of Mist and Fury, A Court of Wings and Ruing, A Court of Frost and Starlight. I’m just linking the first one and you can find the rest from there 🙂 (if you’re going to read these stay off the internet haha sooo many spoilers, but it was still good even with spoilers)
- A Dream So Dark
- A Deadly Education (cannot wait for book 2!!)
- The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Vampire Slaying
- A couple issues of Buffy the Vampire Slayer the comic Season 8
This is more books than I’ve read in the last two years! I used to love reading as a kid I devoured books, but lately reading didn’t hold much interest for me, which made me sad. I’m so happy to have my love of books back!
What’s my secret to knitting and reading? Ebooks! I read ebooks on my tablet propped up on a stand so it’s hands free, I just need to lift a hand every now and then to flip the page.
I was getting so bored and running out of things to watch, but I’ve re-discovered an old favourite and started some new shows with Matt.
- Gilmore Girls – I started a re-watch of the series and it’s so nice to remember how much I love it. The early seasons are so fun! I’m halfway through season 3 now.
- My Hero Academia – Matt and I were in need of a new show so he put this on the other night, he’s seen it before, and I was surprised by how much I got into it.
- Marvel movies – we’ve been watching a lot of Marvel and other superhero movies lately. It’s a phase!
- Wandavision – and of course with all the Marvel we’ve been watching we had to start this new Disney+ original
Thanks for reading the January round up! And as always you can follow my day-to-day knitting adventures on Instagram. I’d love to connect with you 🙂